This summer, make a plan to inject a series of unexpected little surprises into your family’s routine. Here are some easy ideas to get you inspired.
If you have young kids who are particularly early risers, start their day off with a sandy surprise. Pack your cooler the night before, or stop for breakfast treats and some large cups of coffee for the parents! Great beach options and with tasty nearby breakfast takeout include:
- Fifty Point Conservation Area in Hamilton and fresh bagels from 50 Point Market
- Christie Lake Conservation Area in Dundas and Chelsea Buns from The Village Bakery
- Pinehurst Lake in Ayr and warm buttery croissants from Lucio’s Bakery
- Waterfront at Downtown Burlington and doughnuts from The Sunshine Doughnut Company
- Bronte Village and Harbour in Oakville and cupcakes and other morning sweets from Black Forest Pastry Shop
Surprise your kids with a super fun swap for screen time. Outfitters who take care of all the details and gear make a family float down the Grand River such an easy escape! Trips can be self-guided with a map, or you can bring a guide along. Check out packages from Grand River Rafting and Grand Experiences.
Delight your kids with a “Get Out of Eating Vegetables Free” card by trading dinner for dessert one night. Stretch out the fun a little longer by doing some exploring to find a new-to-you ice cream parlour. Tasty options include:
You don’t have to know anything about horse racing to enjoy a night at the track. Give kids a few clues and let them guess where you’re going as you head out for a night of cheering on the horses at Flamboro Downs or Woodbine Mohawk Park in Milton.
If you don’t think horses will be a hit, switch up your evening outing for another animal-filled surprise like a drive-through tour at African Lion Safari or a ramble along the Raptor Centre trail at Mountsberg Conservation Area.